Monday 25 November 2013

Dandenong Show 2013


 


So proud of myself.  I made, no, designed and created this tea cosy myself.  Not the easiest of tea pots to work with due to the handle across the top, rather than the traditional side handle.

I decided to enter it in to the Dandenong Show.  As there was no 'tea cosy' category it had to go under 'other'.  Interestingly, the items that came first second and third in the knitted 'other' category were all tea cosies.



I came second in the 'other' class, beaten by a chook cosy.  I'm sure I've seen the chook pattern before, but I take comfort in knowing that my cottage is all my own design.  I can't remember what it was that came third, but for being another cosy.
 
I was told when I took the cosy in that they have professional window dressers to display the works.  One has to wonder though, because when I got to the show the cottage was displayed from the rear.  Doh, wouldn't you display it with the front door and the flowers in the window box showing?  I can only hope the judges picked up the items to get a proper look.  You can see just at the front of the photo a crocheted heart shaped box of chocolates.  They too were all jumbled and not displayed to their best.  As it happened, the maker of the 'chocolate' box arrived as I was looking at the craft.  The look of disappointment at her display was disheartening.





 
 









 Looking at and admiring all the various crafts on display at country shows, I also enjoy watching the sheep dog trials and the wood chopping.  Alas, neither were happening at the Dandenong Show.  However, there was a short sheep dog demonstration happening just to the right of the craft shed.  On the other side was the hot chainsaw competition.  Whilst the Stihls beat the Husqvanas hands down, it was watching one of the men carve this chair in just a few minutes with his Stihl.  I was suitably impressed and told him so, to which he kindly carved another one for me to bring home.  How nice!  Mountain ash I think he said the timber is.

Once I found a stand that sold Dagwood Dogs (my other show requirement) and got a small show bag for each in the family (alas! no Bertie Beetle bags), my day was complete.  I'm past going on the scary rides.  I like the contents of my stomach to remain there.

Once the exhibition shed closed I waited with the other exhibitors for about an hour as the wind picked up and the weather closed in.  Brrrr, biting cold, but I had a good chat with some ladies.  Seeing walk out with their exhibits, I must say that there a some mighty talented people in the area, be it cooking, sewing, knitting, photography, etc.

Ah well, what to do for the next show ...













No comments:

Post a Comment